After repairing one of the two damaged theorbos that I described in my last post I was able to get back to work on the Jauch triple rose. I still had to lay out and cut the decorative border, round the edges of the organic features, vein the geometric elements and cut the center emblem.
I use a template made of card stock marked off in 5 degree intervals around a pair of circles that exactly represent my rose border. It is then a simple task to punch the diagonal lines. Here I am using a 4mm micro-chisel.
Then I cut the relief on each segment. Here I have worked part way around one rose. The tool is a 3mm micro skew chisel. The blade of such a tool is angled at 30-45 degrees. Held at an angle to the face of the belly opposite corners of each segment are removed, thus creating the relief.
Cutting one rose is a lot of work. Cutting three is -- well -- three times as much. I'm happy and relieved when I finish.
They are beautiful.
But now I can get started on deciding how I want to bar the instrument. How best to bring out the inherit character of wood and design.