I usually sculp the edges of my pegheads with one of the characteristic Voboam designs, veneer them in ebony and leave it at that. But with all of the repair work that I have had to do this year I have been feeling frustrated and depressed. I decided that I needed to make something elaborate and challenging.
MI*65.0591 taken by Thomas Georgi has no braces and the continuous re-inforcement strips over the joints suggest that it never did.
When I examined E. 2087 in 2008 I was curious about the location of the braces on the back and by listening to tap tones I decided there was a single bar located across the lower bout. I have ignored this information but I this time I changed my mind. Making the back a little over 3mm thick I included a single bar and a number of small short tabs. The latter secured and maintained the back's outline.
|The treble side is left.|
I strung the guitar and tested it before I applied any finish. It responded with the usual silvery warmth, quickness and volume level that I expect, but with a degree of responsiveness that I found disturbing. I attributed this to the freely vibrating back. I wanted to retain the quality of sound that I could hear the back was contributing, but some control needed to be added. I believe that musical instruments, at least lutes and guitars, are counter-intuitive. I lifted the belly and inserted a thin moderating bar behind the bridge as shown in the diagram. It is 70mm long, 3.8mm thick and 4.3mm high. It is located 58mm from the rear of the belly. The bridge is 104mm from the rear. It did the trick.
All photos by the author unless otherwise noted.