Saturday, October 22, 2011

Carving Lute Roses

This is the rose that I just finished for my Kaiser theorbo. I started working on it about ten days ago and although I worked on other parts of the theorbo at the same time the rose was the centre of my attention.  The lute rose is the centre of the universe, literally! A lute without a rose isn't a lute. The rose is an expression of passion and skill. A beautiful rose is the artisan's gift. They are also bloody difficult to carve.
This blog will look at the mechanics of carving lute roses; the problem of achieving symmetry and some of the tools that I find useful. But what I am really interested in is the manufacture of the historical rose. My research reveals some interesting surprises.  I'll continue in a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment