This is a blog about building lutes and historical guitars. It is not only a "how to" blog but also a "why" blog. I have always enjoyed thinking about lutes and guitars as much as building them. I also enjoy the music associated with the instruments I build as well as the inspiration I gain from visits to museums to examine them.
Monday, September 19, 2011
Gluing the Lacote Back and Starting a Theorbo Bowl
Last week I explained my rationale for gluing the back struts separately to the rib linings and then stretching and gluing the back over the struts. In the photo i have done just that. All of the clamps are in place. You can see that I have used a traditional method for gluing the edges. Passing through the mould at regular intervals are threaded metal rods that are equipped with wooden blocks and wing nuts. These secure the edges. The two ends are secured separately with small extension clamps and wooden blocks. Four other clamps with long wooden cauls are place directly over the area of the back that is supported by the arched struts. Remember that I have fitted pillars under the struts to support the clamping pressure. The cauls have a concave surface that is a match for the arch of the struts. An even application of clamping pressure is assured by a layer of high density foam that is placed between the caul and the back. Since arranging the clamps is a lengthy process I use a slow drying fish glue from that has a long "open" time.
I have cleaned up the glue squeeze out and inspected the joints. The sound board, in the background, is nearly ready to glue to the body. I will use the same method of stretching the belly over arched struts as I did with the back.
I have made rapid progress on the bowl for the Kaiser theorbo and since I have a definite delivery date for this instrument it will be the focus of my work from now until it is finished. I will explain the design of the bowl for this lute and demonstrate my technique for shaping the ribs in my next posting.